I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also
When Jesus left Capernaum, he said, “I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore I am sent.” (Luke 4:43) We see that Jesus needed to go from one place to another to tell of the kingdom of God; after all, it would be a tremendous shame if the Son of God were restricted to one single location.
The residents of Capernaum had received an incredible amount of excellent teaching, they had received doctrine from God himself, they had seen the incarnate Son of God, they had access to God’s Holy Word, they had synagogues where they were taught on the Sabbath, and they were quite literally living in God’s country. They had every advantage possible. Jesus’ response at the time was to leave and go to other regions, where the Gospel had not yet been preached.
Capernaum was fairly near to Jesus’ childhood home of Nazareth; its culture was probably familiar to him, and its people certainly spoke the same language and had similar religious practices. Yet Jesus quickly moved from Capernaum to other parts of the country, knowing he had other people to reach.
Colombia is out there, and in most parts of it no one has had a chance yet to find out about Jesus. Like the rest of Israel, Colombia has heard something about God, but they don’t understand the need to repent and believe in the one who can save them simply by the blood he spilled, saving by grace through faith. Yes America needs the Gospel but America is only 4.4 percent of the world’s population. That means that out there is the other 95.6 percent that don’t know much or nothing at all about Jesus and what He did. Wow, I hope this helps you see that we need to send more missionaries to the world. Many people are dying and going to hell everyday all around the world.
I am not saying that America does not need more churches, of course we do but at the same time we must also send as many missionaries as we can to the world. Both should be of equal priority, to evangelize our home country and to evangelize the whole world.
Latest posts by Matt Yeager (see all)
- Tell them about Christ - August 18, 2016
- Is it important for a missionary to speak the local language? - August 15, 2016
- I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also - August 11, 2016